The general objective of this work package is to create an environment conducive to the implementation of service-learning practices in universities. To do this, our project aims to:
- strengthen collaboration between the university community and local organizations,
- improve teaching methods and programs by sharing examples, good practices and innovative methods,
- improve students’ learning methods and their employability through civic engagement allowing the development of technical and behavioral skills (practical experience) and self-confidence.
Strengthen cooperation between students, teachers, teaching staff and local organizations.
Offer more participatory courses with more stimulated and active students, favoring collaboration between teachers and students rather than a vertical relationship.
Propose a more innovative and realistic model by taking into account societal issues through collaboration with civil society. This will make the university more attractive and innovative, while providing innovative training for students motivated to take an active role in their education.
Five local service-learning events were organized from October to December 2023 in the whole consortium. These events were a success thanks to the diversity of the participants’ profiles, with a total of 382 participants throughout the consortium.
Teachers, students, members of civil society organizations and administrative staff all contributed to the success of these events through their presence and the quality of their discussions. These events allowed us to present our European project on service learning and to make the service-learning methodology better known to more people.
In addition, each university was able to present the first results of the field study carried out by the National and Capodistrian University of Athens on existing practices for implementing service-learning within the consortium.
We now look forward to the second local events, most of which will take place in spring 2024. At these events, students will present their service-learning projects. The prize will be awarded to the one or two most innovative service-learning projects, incorporating significant dimensions and pre-established criteria such as student empowerment, innovative methodologies and the most significant impact.
The winners of the Service-Learning projects announced at the 2nd local events will be awarded a significant prize for their achievement: a free trip to attend a European Seminar on service-learning in Bucharest from 25 to 28 June 2024!
- Universities, teachers and academic staff will improve their services and working practices by implementing innovative methodologies that recognize Service-Learning and student field experience.
- Improve the visibility of learning actions through student engagement and enhance their university experience with societal, environmental and general interest impact.
- Students will develop their skills and gain experience through more comprehensive academic courses, better preparing them for the job search.
- Universities are strengthening their links with civil society and their impact on social and environmental issues.
WHAT'S NEW ?
The five universities successfully concluded their first local events during October and November!
Aix-Marseille University organized on October 5 and 18, 2023 during the Month of Engagement, a first event highlighting Service-Learning through several activities:
- A micro-sidewalk with students and associations on the university campus led by the ANONYMAL association in the Association Villages to introduce the different themes of engagement and service-learning.
- A World Café involving external structures, student associations, students and teachers to exchange and debate issues related to Service-learning and engagement.
- “My action in 180 seconds”: an activity during which students were able to pitch their Service-Learning project!
In spring 2024, students from Aix-Marseille University will be able to participate in the competition for the best Service-Learning project by presenting a project already carried out or that they would like to carry out. At stake? Mobility at the University of Bucharest from June 25 to 28, 2024, to participate in the European Service-Learning forum. Information on participation details will be communicated to you very soon.